Types of Separation
EHRA employees are expected to provide their immediate supervisor with one month of advance written notice of resignation. SHRA employees are expected to provide their immediate supervisor with two weeks of advance written notice of resignation. In the absence of exceptional circumstances, failure to provide sufficient notice may result in being ineligible for rehire.
To initiate the retirement process, the employee must make an appointment with the college benefits point of contact (Britt Hurst / 919-513-3748) no earlier than 120 days prior to the intended retirement date. Retirements take effect the first day of the month. More information regarding retirement at NC State can be found at Benefits, Employee Wellness and Work Life.
All Other Separations
All other separations listed below will be handled on a case-by-case basis by Wilson College OHR.
- Discharge for Cause,
- Expiration of a Fixed-Term Appointment,
- Reduction in Force,
- Separation Due to Unavailability When Leave is Exhausted,
- Termination of Employment Because of Financial Exigency or Program Curtailment or Elimination
Standard Offboarding Procedure
Once the written notice of resignation / retirement is provided, Wilson College OHR will 1) draft and send the resignation acceptance letter to the separating employee and 2) coordinate with the separating employee and the supervisor in setting up an offboarding appointment to go over the offboarding tasks, benefits information, and answer any questions.
The offboarding tasks for the separating employee is as follows:
- Return all technology assets and complete the IT onboarding with TCTS. TCTS will reach out to the employee to complete this task.
- Return all keys to the supervisor. Selina Williams will confirm the keys that will need to be returned to the college and will collect it from the supervisor.
- Give phone PIN to supervisor
- Ensure all NCSU assets (such as library books and lab equipment) is returned.
- Complete the Knowledge Transfer Plan to ensure all essential duties and knowledge tied to the employee’s position are transferred appropriately in the unit to avoid knowledge loss. Send the completed KTP to firstname.lastname@example.org so Wilson College OHR can retain it in the employee’s personnel file.
- Make sure that the personal details (such as home address and contact details) in MyPack Portal are updated in case that the university needs to send documents such as W2s.
- After 21 days of the employee’s separation, their NCSU email becomes disabled and they will only have access to MyPack Portal through April of the year following their separation. If the employee requires continued access to these accounts, please let Wilson College OHR know as soon as possible. Upon approval from the department head, OHR will set up a no-pay/access-only appointment for them.
All offboarding benefits can be found at Health Benefits, Leave Balances, Retirement Plans.
- State Health Plan – Termination dates between 1st and 15th of the month, coverage is effective through the last day of the month (ex: 3/10 term date = covered until 3/31). Termination dates on or after the 16th of the month, coverage is effective through the last day of the following month (ex: 3/17 term date = covered until 4/30).
- The following benefits will end at the end of the month in which employment ends:
- Postdoc/House Officer Health Insurance
- Dental, Vision, Cancer Plan, Critical Illness
- Supplemental Disability
- State Provided Disability Plans
Hyatt Legal Plan
- Flexible Spending Plans – The use of this benefit ends on the last day of employment.
- Leave payouts (for annual leave, bonus leave, and special bonus leave ONLY) occur in the payroll in the month following the last day worked. There is a maximum of 240 hours of annual leave that can be paid out.
Note: Unused annual leave for postdocs will not be paid out when the appointment ends and will not be converted or carried forward if the postdoc subsequently accepts a regular EHRA or SHRA position at NC State University.
- Sick leave will not pay out upon separation but will be reinstated if employee returns within 5 years to a State of North Carolina agency or UNC System school.
It is highly encouraged, but not mandatory, for all separating employees to complete an Exit Survey. The information you provide is completely confidential. It will only take a couple minutes to complete.
If you would like to have a 1:1 exit interview with one of our Wilson College OHR members, please send an email to Textiles-HR@ncsu.edu.
If you would like to to schedule a 1:1 exit interview with Employee Relations, please call the following number according to your employee classification:
- SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty, and Post-Docs – Contact Employee Relations at (919) 515-6575
- Faculty – Contact Danielle Carr, Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity at (919) 513-3245